A Test of Faith


This place, that I can call my new home, is something special.
The children's screams at 6:00 in the morning and their special laughs and hugs before bed are somehow equally great.

My first three days here were nothing like I expected. I loved the kids but i wanted to fly straight home to everything I actually knew. I didn't properly prepare myself for all new people, a new bed, a new shower, a new culture, all new smells, a new way of eating, a new way of cleaning, and basically an entirely new way of living. I was overwhelmed to the point tears. How was I going to adjust?

Honestly, it was a test of faith.

I wanted to call home and cry instead of call up to my real home and my real Father in Heaven. It was easier that way. I could actually read emails from my family, God wasn't going to send me an email. But, that's when I realized, is anything ever easy without God other than sin? I was committing a sin. I was letting Satan attack where it hurt most, missing my home. And my lack of Faith was so insulting to my Lord. I wasn't trusting in Him, who sent me here in the first place, and who gave his perfect, sinless, life up for me.

I have only been here a little over a week and some moments are really hard still. Mornings seem to be the time when I get most homesick for some reason, I haven't figured out why. The church I go to here is really great. It's in the backyard of the pastor's home. He and his wife are from Virginia and I absolutely love going there. The church consists of Ugandans as well as many Americans who are missionaries here in Jinja. The church creates such a sense of community that I would probably otherwise miss from home. The pastor and his wife are the most welcoming people and they cook tacos for us every Monday night. Taco night! I have two bible studies on Wednesday nights back to back, which are such a great encouragement and learning environment in the middle of the week. My days go roughly like this: I get up really whenever the kids wake me up, it always depends. We start school at 9:00 and they do different groups and learn things like letters, numbers, body parts, etc. That lasts until about 10:30 and then they have snack time. While they snack I go to the backyard kitchen and help the Mammas (the Ugandan women who work at the orphanage) finish cooking lunch and start dinner. I might be becoming a pro at potato peeling and vegetable cutting! After that the children nap from about 1:00 to 3:30 so I either make a trip into town for internet or to the market; if I don't have to go to into town I find either something I can help with around the house, I clean, or I might relax and watch a movie or TV series on my laptop or read in bed. The kids usually have an activity around 4:00 everyday (Tuesdays are messy play days, Fridays is art, Mondays are music). Then they eat dinner and get ready for bed around 7:00. Then between seven and eight we color, have a dance party, or just relax with them before bedtime. After that it is relatively quiet (well quieter than the daytime) and us volunteers find something to do like go to dinner, watch a movie, or play games before we head off to bed. I am currently living with five other volunteers. Their names are Michelle (who came with me), Anna, Sara, Brecklyn, and Mary Grace. It's really actually nice to have a room full of girls despite the constant mess! Two of the leave near the end of November and then Michelle heads out mid December. That leaves Me, Anna, and Sara in our room for the springtime... Hopefully we can keep each other company!

Sorry this is basically a novel but I haven't really updated anyone at all! Please be praying for a few of our children who are very very sick and in much pain! I went to the hospital in Kampala with three of them yesterday and it was a very long day with some good and some bad news, so your prayers are needed! Love you all and I LOVE getting emails so feel free to email me with questions, comments, or anything else! :)

Comments

  1. I'm so inspired by your journey! every sentence makes me miss my trip to africa and the children i worked with! i will eagerly await all your blog and facebook updates and will be praying for you and the children constantly - any chance i get!!! you really are inspiring and i pray that your time goes easily and without too much homesick-ness. again, i will be praying constantly for you and the kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josey, the Lord is doing amazing work through you! As a missionary in inner-city Los Angeles I can completely relate to all your struggles with culture, being far from family, food, etc. You are right! Somedays Satan throws those darts and they hit us right where it hurts. But those days when we are fully armored, there is more joy than ever knowing that you are serving in the exact way that you were set apart for and that your Heavenly Father DELIGHTS in you and your willingness to trust Him. Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." God has set you apart to do this work, so keep pressing on! So excited for you cuz :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts