Where is He?


Today I feel dry. I am crying out to God to lift my spirits, and give me peace but I don't feel anything. Does this mean God isn't there? No. Never. He is always there. Here. With me. I just can't connect with that today. I am feeling emotional, and tired. Honestly, at this very moment, I want to be at home, in the air conditioning, eating my Chobani pineapple greek yogurt, watching House Hunters International. I am desperate to feel the Lord's arms wrapping around me, but I just don't today. On my boda into town I saw more despair on the streets than normal. Crippled women trying to get where they need to go, men fighting on the street, kids begging for shillings. It brought tears to my eyes. Where is God in the midst of all of this? Why can't I feel Him?
This is an excerpt from the bible study I am doing with five other missionaries on Sunday nights:

"When we feel overwhelmed by a problem, little or big, it has a tendency to dominate our life. The key to walking in faith in the midst of hardship is the same for small problems as it is for big ones. The place to start is not by looking at the size of our problem, but at the size of our God. Henry Blackaby, in his study, Experiencing God, tells us that it is essential that we do not base our understanding of God from the context of our situation, but rather that we view our situation from the context of what we know of our God. Our situation is very unstable. It is continually changing, It's like a roller coaster: sometimes things are going up, and sometimes things are going down. If we base our understanding of God on how things are going for us, then we will never have a clear understanding of who God is. He will seem fickle and undependable. Sometimes He will seem good and caring, other times He will seem cold and distant. The truth is that God is always the same.  Our situation does not change who God is. It merely changes our perception of Him. If we start with what we know about God, and let that influence how we see what's going on in our lives, then not only will we have a clearer understanding of God, but we will also have a clearer more reliable perspective on our life." 
-From "Faith Walk" by Bob Peterson

I am trying to let this reign true in my life right now. I miss home, and am struggling on this day to see God in the midst of all of the despair; my own and that around me. But in order to see a better, more reliable perspective on my life, I have to look at two main points about God. Number one: God loves me. This should trump every doubt I have. If God loves us and I am actively pursuing Him in my daily life, I have nothing to fear. Yes, easier said than done, but what a comfort to know that He is on our side. The victory is already won, and we find this in surrender to Him. Number two: God is all powerful. He has ALL power in His hands. He can do anything he wants.

I type this, fully understanding and knowing what I type is fact. It's true. God is here. I am human and it is hard on days like this not to doubt, and wonder where God is even when I don't feel Him. I am not perfect, quite frankly I am the farthest thing from it, and I can't always grasp these facts. But today, although I don't feel Him, I am clinging to Him. What other place can I find hope? It's not about why our hardships come, or how we got where we are, it's more about how we respond to them; what we cling to in the midst of them. So, as I try to be faithful in the midst of this hard day, I want you to do it with me. Just call out to Him today, no matter what your situation is, no matter how dry you feel. And know, we are doing this together. What good is suffering if we just wallow in our self-pity? Call to Him.

Comments

Popular Posts