Comfort is Overrated

"You won't ever hear this song on Christian radio
Cause the Jesus that I serve is not safe
He'll say take Your cross and die
So if you want a comfy life
Stay away from Jesus

He says narrow is the gate and hard is the way
Hate the ones you love and love the ones you hate
Eat my flesh and drink my blood
But if your works are good enough
Stay away from Jesus

O let the children come
O let the prideful run
The Lord, The Lord is His name
He has died the world to save
But to believe is to obey
So come or stay away

He says be either hot or cold, you can't serve God and gold
Indifference is the road that leads to hell
So if you're happy in your stuff
and if 10%'s enough
Stay away from Jesus

He says come follow me
lose your life and be free
you must die to believe
like a child come and see

He draws every line in love, He is good and He is just
And the words He speaks are meant to set you free
But if you think you are the Way
And in control you have to stay
Then stay away from Jesus"

Today was a very hard day. I got up at four o'clock to send Hunter off at the airport. I really thought I was okay until I got into the car to drive away, and then the next five or so hours were, to put it lightly, miserable. I never thought goodbye would be so hard. I was crushed and had no way of dealing with it. I prayed and still couldn't stop crying. I finally left the house knowing being in public might do the trick. I stopped at the gas station and bought some comfort food, half diet half cherry coke, a Mr. Goodbar, and a blow pop. The tears weren't streaming anymore although it took serious concentration. I was glued to my phone knowing Hunter would call any minute from Phoenix. Talking to him settled my nerves and I felt a little better. My cousin came into town with her adorable puppy for the evening and that was also nice to get my mind off of everything. The looming goodbye on Wednesday and the sad goodbye this morning had me realize really what it's like to lose comfort. 

Like this song says, if you want a comfy life, stay away from Jesus. As Christ followers we are called to live a life with ups and downs. There will be times of extreme discomfort, like today. I felt out of place, helpless, and quite frankly miserable. I finally felt what it was like NOT to be comfortable. It's not fun, but for the sake of His Glory, I'd do it a million times more. So, when that time comes and you truly feel "uncomfortable" for Jesus, remember the Gospel, and His more than discomfort. His agony. 

I take off in exactly a day and a half. Your prayers for my flying friend and I, the children and directors, and my family are so critical and beyond appreciated. Thank you for all of your support, and I will try to update you next in Belgium (so long as the WiFi doesn't cost me too much money and we don't get lost looking for waffles). If you would like to send a letter or a care package to the either me or the children my address will be this:

Ekisa Ministries
Attn: Josey Hammond
PO box 817
Jinja, Uganda

If you would like a list of things the orphanage is in need of, you can email me at joseyhammond@yahoo.com or message me on Facebook!



Comments

  1. Sweet girl, I wish I could offer you comfort during this next day and a half. the goodbye is the hardest. But know there are so many people here who already love you and are so excited to meet you! We already have plans to take you to the Nile Resort on Sunday afternoon and you can get free wifi there (your drink's on me, by the way. Do you like soda? 'Cause you'll be drinking a lot of it here!)
    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts