I Hate Sin

I hate sin.
Seriously, I hate it. It is the root of everything on this earth. 
A few nights ago, I was attending the college and singles service at church and we had an incredible time of worship. But my heart was so troubled. I was dealing with some of my own sin I couldn't seem to grasp. I was frustrated because a friend I've invited to church at least a hundred times didn't show up, again. I was sad because I realized how many people (including those close to me) think they are "saved" and they aren't. 

I realized what all of this stems from, sin. I hate sin. 

I realized sin is the reason why relationships end, why people die, why people hate themselves, why people don't understand, why people suffer. And, to put it frankly, it sucks. It just flat out sucks. 

I was sobbing. Yeah, I know, surprise surprise, Josey was crying. I couldn't hold it in. I was so mad at Adam and Eve. WHY!?!?!?! 
I'd never felt this way before. Sin, for the first time, made me so angry. And you know why it was the first time sin had made me that angry? Because previous sin stopped me from seeing it's brutality. As A.W.Tozer put it, "It is because of the hasty and superficial conversation with God that the sense of sin is so weak and that no motives have power to help you to hate and flee from sin as you should." 

I see sin all the time. But lately, I've been seeing how it effects humans more and more. I see it in my friends. Not just themselves, but how their parents decisions and sins have effected them. I see how my sins have affected my friends. Now, before we go all crazy, let's keep in mind we are sinful by nature, I am by no means trying to point giant red flashing arrows on the sins of others, because I am truly a master at it, but what I am trying to convey, is that, we all sin, and we all suffer from it, and others suffer from our sin as well. And it makes me sad, it makes me want to weep. I hate it.

The Devil attacks. He knows our weaknesses and he knows very well what sins we are more likely to fall to, and he knows what makes us fall to them. He uses the human fleshly desires to his advantage. It aches my heart to see the Devil attacking my friends or my family. I hate it.

Seeing people suffer from sin is the worst of all. Seeing the people I love suffer from not only their own sin, but from the sin of others, hurts. Especially lost friends. Friends who don't know Jesus. I want them so badly to understand the suffering isn't the end. Christ died for us. And I'm working on it, trying to convey that message as loudly as I can. But, sometimes, sin gets in the way of them hearing that. Sin, I hate it.

I take that back, the WORST sin to see is my own. I hate my own sin. I hate when the sins I commit hurt others. I hate it.

As I was weeping, thinking about how sin effects the world, I felt so helpless. 
I can't help. I can proclaim the name of Jesus, and I can preach the gospel, but I can't stop sin. 
What an amazing God we have! He sent his only son to die the worst death a human could experience in order that we could be saved from our sins. We are forgiven. Me, nasty, dirty, filthy, wretched me, is saved from my sin. 

As Christ followers, it hurts to see the sin around us; the effects of sin around us and in the lives of the ones we love. But the Lord is so quick to remind us.... Be patient. 

"Be patient, therefore brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains. You also, be patient. Establish your hearts for the coming of the Lord is at hand." -James 5:7-8

I do hate sin. But I am a Christ follower, and I therefore am saved from my filthy sins. And I am so thankful, eternally ad forever thankful, but this doesn't give me a reason the sit back and continue to sin the same way. It doesn't give me a reason to write off sin. It motivates me. I want my lost friends to know they don't have to fall to that sin eternally. I want to shout it from the rooftops. I want to see the joy and beauty that is created in a new Christ follower. 
So, hate sin.
Let it bring you to your knees in prayer.
Let it make you want to shout from the rooftops the name of Jesus.
Let it motivate you.


Comments

Popular Posts